Friday

GW Substance Abuse Class, So Far

Things seem to be going well so far, in this year's GW course on substance abuse. There was some confusion on my part about the location of the course: When the room assignment was changed, I updated the website but forgot to update my syllabus printout. Then when I printed out the syllabus to bring to class for the students, it had the wrong room and thst's where I went.

This is my first foray into the interactive world of blogging; so I hope that some of this year's students do give me some comments or responses here. I'm very interested in whether the blog can be used to fscilitate an electronic class discussion between class sessions.

2 comments:

san said...

Hi all,
I am new to the class and was unable to attend the first two sessions. I wanted to know if anyone was interested in getting together to review for the quiz.

Also, I wanted to discuss the difference or clarification between addiction and dependence.

For example, if you take a prescription for a thyroid condition, would that be considered dependence, because you have withdrawal symptoms? And would addiction be because you have the "intense urge" to take the drug even if you know that something negative can result?

Thanks, Sara Netzer

Alan Trachtenberg, MD, MPH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.